The Stick and the Carrot
I saw this sign this morning. Don’t you just love it when you’re threatened on your morning drive to work? I’ve actually reviewed one of the sermons from this church before. I should do another one. They seem like fun people.
Let’s recap the lessons of this message, shall we?
- I’m a bad person. You’re a bad person, too.
- Believe what I believe, or you’ll be burned alive.
- God created hell and the rules that cause you to go there. But you send yourself there by breaking the rules.
- A god who allows torture is perfectly good.
- We should worship the god that set up a scenario where people are tortured.
- If you don’t teach your children these lessons, you’re a bad parent.
- Being afraid is a great reason to believe in something even if you’re not sure it’s real.
Obviously these lessons seem ridiculous to me. So why do I feel like I need to explain why I think each of them aren’t true? This country need serious help.